American Express Online Privacy Statement
Effective Date: 1 November 2012
This Online Privacy Statement describes how we – American Express and our Service Providers - collect information when you use or access any of our online services or content.For example, when you:
· Visit our web sites or mobile sites;
· Use our mobile applications;
· Receive or respond to electronic communications from us; or
· View our ads or content on third party sites and applications.
This Statement also explains how we share this online information and how we combine it with other information we collect about you from Other Sources (such as, where you use your card or your credit history). We may provide you with further details about how we collect, use and share your personal information depending on the specific American Express product or service you are using, for example when you apply for a product.
Most importantly, this Statement also tells you what choices you have in managing your privacy.
What’s in this Online Privacy Statement
What Types of Information Do We Collect Online and How Do We Collect It?
What Information Do We Collect Online and How Do We Collect It?
Sometimes you give information directly to us. For example, you might provide us with your name, your account number, email address or date of birth when you:
· fill out an online application form or survey;
· register or log into your account;
· enter a competition or register for a marketing offer;
· book travel online; or
· make purchases on our sites.
Sometimes we collect information about you through other means such as Cookies & Other Technologies.For example, we may collect information about:
· the computer or mobile device you are using (for example, the screen resolution, your operating system or your browser version);
· your browsing habits and history (such as the sites your visit, information you search for and pages you view);
· which ads or content from us and our Business Partners you have viewed or accessed;
· when you open our emails and which parts you click on; and
· the location of your computer or mobile device.
Sometimes we may also collect publicly available information from third-party websites such as public databases, directories or social media sites.
How Do We Use Information?
We use all of this online information, sometimes combined with other information we already hold or collect about you from Other Sources(such as, where you use your card or your credit history), in the following ways:
· To deliver products and services. For example, to:
* recognize you when you return to our sites;
* complete transactions;
* process and decide applications;
* conduct risk and credit assessments;
* tell you about updates to your accounts, products, and services;
* answer questions and respond to your requests;
* improve our sites and apps and make them easier to use; and
* update you about new features and benefits.
· To advertise and market our products and services, and those of our Business Partners. For example, to:
* present targeted ads online;
* send you promotions and offers;
* analyze the effectiveness of ads, promotions and offers; and
* determine whether you would be interested in new products or services.
· To conduct research and analysis. For example, to:
* prevent fraud and ensure the security of your information;
* better understand our customers and site visitors;
* give you the opportunity to provide feedback, ratings and reviews of our products and services and those of Business Partners; and
* produce data analytics, statistical research and reports.
· As otherwise required or permitted by law or with your consent.
How Do We Share Information?
Some of the information we collect online isPersonal Information.Unless you register for an online service, product or application or identify yourself to us directly, you browse our sites anonymously and only Non-Personal Information is collected.In keeping with American Express policy, we do not share Personal Informationwith anyone, except as described below.
We may share Personal Information as required or permitted by law:
· to report or seek information about your financial circumstances, and to report or collect on debts owed;
· to comply with legal orders, regulatory requirements and government requests;
· to combat fraud or criminal activity, and to protect the rights of American Express or others;
· within the American Express Family of Companies or with a proposed buyer of one of these companies;
· with financial institutions, Co-brand Partners, and other Business Partners with whom we jointly offer or develop products and services (but they may not use your personal information, in particular your email address, to independently market their own products or services to you unless you have consented);
· with a purchaser of any of the American Express Family of Companies (or their assets); or
· with your consent.
· for the same reasons as we might share Personal Information;
· with Business Partnersto facilitate product development, marketing, targeted content and ads;
· with Business Partnersto conduct analysis and research about customers; or
What Are Your Choices?
Electronic Marketing Communications
You may tell us to stop sending you electronic marketing communications, such as email or mobile messages, at any time (see table below for more details). We will do this as soon as we can however it may take up to 30 days.
You can do this in one of the following ways:
Go to https://www.americanexpress.com/australia/ log in, and update your privacy preferences
If your card is not issued by American Express, you must contact your issuer to opt out.
If you have more than one account with us, you must tell us your choices separately for each account.
Electronic Servicing Communications
We will still communicate with you in connection with the administration and servicing of your account and any other product, service, promotion or competition you have enrolled in.We may also communicate with you to conduct surveys or market research from time to time.
What other choices do you have?
Cookies & Similar Technologies
If you do not want us to collect information about you using Cookies & Similar Technologies you can disable or delete them. Most computer systems and browsers offer their own privacy settings. We encourage you to use them to enhance your choices. Most browsers’ advanced settings (such as those in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari) allow you to disable Cookies & Similar Technologies.
NB - If you do disable or delete Cookies & Similar Technologies, some site features and services may not work. You will need to manage your settings for each computer and browser you use to access the Internet.
For more information go to the More about Cookies & Similar Technologies section.
Do Not Call Registers
· register for the National Do Not Call Register at https://www.donotcall.gov.au/
Do we transfer Personal Information to other countries?
We may transfer Personal Informationto other countries (in particular, the USA) for example, for customer service or to process transactions. Regardless of where we transfer your information, we still protect your information in the manner described above and in accordance with applicable laws.
How do we keep your Personal Information safe and secure?
We use reasonable administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect your Personal Information. These measures include computer safeguards and secured files and buildings. Please do not send us any Personal Information through unsecured channels, for example by unencrypted e-mail or by posting on social media sites.
We will take reasonable steps to securely destroy or permanently de-identify personal information when we no longer need it.
How can I keep my Personal Information safe and secure?
Many of our sites and services require the use of a User ID and Password as an additional security measure. This allows American Express to verify who you are and preventing unauthorised access.As with all passwords, we recommend that you change these regularly and do not write them down anywhere.When you have finished using any password protected area make sure you always log out. We also recommend you close the browser down once you have finished your session.If you are using a mobile device, make sure you log out of the online site or application and lock your mobile after use.
How can Cardmembers update their Personal Information related to their Card account?
Cardmembers can log in to their Card accounts at americanexpress.com/australia/ to correct or update their Personal Information. They can also call the number on the back of their Card.
Our sites are not intended for children. We do not knowingly solicit data online from, or market online to, children.
Will this Statement change?
We may change this Statement at any time. Changes are effective when we post them on this site.The Effective Date at the start of this Statement tells you when the Statement was last updated.
What Happens on Other Sites I visit?
This Statement does not apply to sites that do not link to this Statement, such as amexpub.com and amexnetwork.com, which have their own privacy statements.All Internet sites have the ability to collect information about you. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of every site you visit.
Questions about this Statement?
If you have questions about this Online Privacy Statement, feel free to telephone us on the number on the back of your Card or the following:
·Consumer Cardmembers1300 132 639
·Merchants1300 363 614
·Corporate Cardmembers1300 362 639
·Foreign Exchange1300 139 060
More about Cookies & Similar Technologies
There are many functions Cookies & Similar Technologies serve. For example, they can help us to remember your username and preferences analyse how well our website is performing, or even allow us to recommend content we believe will be most relevant to you.
Certain Cookies & Similar Technologies contain personal information – for example, if you click to “remember me” when logging in, a cookie will store your username. Most Cookies & Similar Technologies won’t collect information that identifies you, and will instead collect more general information such as how users arrive at and use our websites, or a user’s general location.
1. Essential Cookies & Similar Technologies
Some Cookies & Similar Technologies are essential for the operation of our website. For example, some cookies allow us to identify subscribers and ensure they can access the subscription only pages. If a subscriber opts to disable these cookies, the user will not be able to access all of the content that a subscription entitles them to.
2. Performance Cookies & Similar Technologies
We utilise other Cookies & Similar Technologies to analyse how our visitors use our websites and to monitor website performance. This allows us to provide a high quality experience by customising our offering and quickly identifying and fixing any issues that arise. For example, we might use performance cookies to keep track of which pages are most popular, which method of linking between pages is most effective, and to determine why some pages are receiving error messages. We might also use these cookies to highlight articles or site services that we think will be of interest to you based on your usage of the website.
3. Functional Cookies & Similar Technologies
We use functional Cookies & Similar Technologies to allow us to remember your preferences. For example, cookies save you the trouble of typing in your username every time you access the site, and recall your customisation preferences, such as which regional edition of the website you want to see when you log in.
We also use functional Cookies & Similar Technologies to provide you with enhanced services such as allowing you to watch a video online or comment on a blog.
4. Behaviourally Targeted Advertising Cookies & Similar Technologies
American Express (We, Our, Us) - American Express Australian Limited, American Express International Inc, American Express Wholesale Currency Services Pty Ltd, American Express Company, American Express Centurion Bank, American Express Bank, FSB, and/or American Express Travel Related Services.
American Express Family of Companies - American Express Company, American Express Centurion Bank, American Express Bank, FSB, American Express Travel Related Services, American Express Publishing, and any other company owned and/or controlled by American Express Company.
Business Partners - Any third parties with which we conduct business and have a contractual relationship such as businesses that accept American Express cards. Business Partners are not Service Providers.
Co-brand Partners - Companies we partner with to offer Cards featuring both brand logos.
Cookies & Similar Technologies -Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a site or use an application. Cookies facilitate the transfer of information from your computer or mobile device across the telecommunications network and allows it to be recognized the next time you visit or use the site or application. Similar technologies such as web beacons, pixels, gifs and tags also do the same thing. We use the term ‘Cookies & Similar Technologies’ in this policy to refer to all technologies that collect information in this way.
IP Address - A number assigned to a device when connecting to the Internet.
Non-Personal Information - Information that cannot identify a person such as certain data from Cookies & Similar Technologies or data that has been aggregated or anonymised. Non-Personal Information may be derived from Personal Information, provided all Personal Information has been removed.
Other Sources - American Express internal information (Card transaction data, for example), external data used by financial companies to process applications and complete transactions (Credit bureau data, for example), and other online and offline information legally obtained at the time of collection.
Personal Information - Information that can identify a person, such as name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Third-Party Ad-Servers - Companies that provide the technology to place ads on websites and track ad performance.
Service Providers - Any third party that performs business operations on behalf of American Express, such as printing, mailing, and other communications services (e-mail, direct mail, etc), marketing, data processing and matching, servicing, collections, or ad management. Service Providers are not Business Partners.